Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Moon Festival!

If you didn't go to the Moon Festival event on last Wednesday in the KBR, then you missed out on delicious mooncakes, origami, awesome performances by students and faculty, and karaoke! Okay, so maybe it's not THE most exciting way to spend Wednesday evening, but I certainly had fun. I like to think people appreciate our effort in making the Asian community feel welcome in this dinky town :).

I was a bit late for the event because it started at 4pm and my Zoology lab doesn't end until 5. Most of the first hour was just the "mixer" part, allowing people to walk around the tables, snack, and hopefully make some friends! I made it just in time for the next part of the event -- entertainment! Some of the Chinese international students sang a traditional song together, and a Chinese Mongolian international student performed a song in traditional dress as well! One of the ethnic studies professors, Wurlig Bao, has an amazing singing voice and shared it with us all at the event! If you ever have her for a class, she will gladly share it then, too. A student did a presentation explaining the meaning of the Moon Festival and the way different nations celebrate it. After all the performances, people lined up to receive mooncakes and more yummy treats. Then we started up karaoke to finish off the event :)

I thought this event turned out really well and we had a lot of people attend! I wish I could have done more to help -- thanks APASA, CSSA, and MCC for putting on such a great event for the community!

1 comment: