Monday, December 6, 2010

October 4th, 2010

Monday morning I slept in a bit and didn’t make it downstairs until about 9:30am. I spent the whole morning listening to the talks in the symposium Bat Management: Current Issues and Cooperative Conservation. A big topic, of course, was White-Nose Syndrome. It is mostly affecting bat populations on the east coast but has been found half way across the country already! Today I also looked at some of the posters. Most of these are by graduate students, but some undergrads from HSU presented a poster, as well. Some posters were just out for people to read, but some students actually stood by their posters to present them and answer questions. I also looked at the photos that had been entered in the photo contest and I voted for my favorites. The afternoon symposia for today didn’t tickle my fancy so I went down to lake level (Salt Lake City was pretty much at the bottom of the mountain) with a couple other girls to go grocery shopping. The restaurants in the resort were overpriced and our suites had full kitchens so we thought it would be more delicious and cost efficient to cook our own meals. In the evening, there was the professional-student mixer where everyone gets to mingle and students get to talk to the professionals! Most of us were too intimidated to approach professionals, though. I only talked to some grad students and my own professors. Actually, I did talk to one professional who works for the USGS, but he was an HSU alumni and my advisor introduced us. I think we all stayed at the mixer for about an hour, then headed back up to the suites. Our team for the Quiz Bowl (wildlife nerd trivia and each school has a team) settled down to study for the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment